Healing: Insights from The Urantia Book
By Henry Begemann
Spiritual Healing could be viewed as one factor of the vast process
of supremacy, spirit dominance over mind, and mind over matter—pattern
caused to appear. (See The Urantia Book, [116:5.6-9] and [116:6.4-8]
The ordination -- mandate, [140:3.2]
- 1. Proclaim liberty to the spiritual captives
- 2. Proclaim joy to those in the bondage of fear
- 3. Heal the sick, in accordance with the will of my Father in heaven
- a. [141:4.4-6] Jesus taught the twelve how to heal. What he taught is not communicated, only some clues:
- b. "... the whole man..." Diseases of the flesh, Troubled minds. (Giving clues for really interested
students is an often practiced method of the authors of The Urantia Book).
The whole man:
- 1. The material energy system
- 2. The mindal energy system
- 3. The spirit energy system (different from the indwelling spirit)
- 4. Personality
- a. true personality, changeless
- b. identity, (personality identifying itself with a living organism to get self-knowledge through experience).
- On our level, and throughout the local universe-career the I, or ego, or self, is not yet centered in the spirit-energy system, but in the mind-energy-system.
- 5. The Thought Adjuster, the indwelling spirit, not yet really a part
- 6. Soul, born of two parents, mind and Adjuster, the embryonic morontia-mind
including a potential/actual new self, reborn man. (the Biblical concept
of "the old man" and "the new man".)
- 7. Relationship between
"the whole man" and disease: [42:12.5] "The spirit is the
architect, the mind is the builder, the body is the building."
- a. The architect can be inactive or "captive;" The mind can
be without director and in error; The body can exemplify and manifest the
error of mind.
- b. Purely physical disease. [4:2.8] (...the mis-thinking) the collective
mind influences nature and creature.
The spiritual healing process indicated by ordination-mandate.
- 1. Liberty for the spiritual captives... The spiritual energy-system
is non-active through the overpowering tendencies, convictions, and fears
of the ego, that is centered in mind. Reversion of truth: matter dominates
mind, (material) mind dominates spirit.
- a. Living, experienced, TRUTH causes the mind-center, the self, to strive
for spirit -- (real value) domination. Then the creative nature of spirit
manifests itself. This is liberty -- sonship. Intellectual "truth"
is insufficient for spiritual healing. When the captain of the mind-ship
listens to the advice of the pilot, he steers his ship free from the shoals,
into the open sea of spirit. [11:1.9]
- b. The liberated spiritual energy-system regenerates the mindal and material
- 2. Joy for those in bondage of fear.... Fear is an attitude of the
mind. Mind, lacking the creativity of the spiritual energy-system, is in
bondage to its concepts of material reality. [12:8.5]
- a. Mind, innately creative, thus creates fear images, which can become
obsessions. Fear is a strong factor in the collective mind also. According
to Jesus, the remedy for fear is joy. The BEAUTY of life is the basis and
reason for joy. Life, as the Universal Father meant it for his children,
is beautiful. When we experience the love of our Father, this love casts
out fear, through the liberated creativity of the spiritual energy-system.
- b. Experienced values create their channels of expression. Fear is a concomitant
of illness. Jesus often began his treatment with "Be not afraid."
Fear often expresses itself in the material body as some form of disease
accordant with the special form of the fear. (Mind dominating matter).
- c. Every Thought Adjuster brings with him an individual plan of life for
his subject. [2:7.6] "Happiness ensues from the recognition of truth
because it can be acted out; it can be lived...."
- 3. "I send you forth ... to heal the sick in accordance with the
will of my Father in Heaven."
- Two meanings:
- 1. Healing is in accordance with his will.
- 2. Our healing work should be done in accordance with his will.
Both interpretations seem valid. What is the will of God? On the personal,
spiritual level the Thought Adjuster is called the will of God. On the
physical level, pattern is called the will of God. Mind (with the self-center)
is confronted with mystery above and below. [111:7.3] "Why do
you not allow the Adjuster to strengthen you with Cosmic Power while you
wrestle with the temporal difficulties of creature existence?" On
p. [0:1.17] power is mentioned as a disclosure of divinity on impersonal
levels. Conclusion: personality has not power. Power is not personal.
The Urantia Book tells us that, "That quality of ... personality by virtue of which
pattern is caused to appear may be attributed to God - Deity ..., to the
co-existence of personality and power." [0:6.12]
Though personality has not power, there exists a relationship between
personality and power. This relationship The Urantia Book mostly calls
"Sonship with God."
[196:3.31] is very enlightening for the "Sonship
with - God" - consciousness. It is more than God-knowingness, more
than embryonic soul-consciousness, more than the faith-experience of Sonship,
it is the actual experience of the divine presence, "equivalent to
the integration of the self with the universe, and on its highest levels
of spiritual reality." It is actually participating in the process
But physical healing not only implies dedication to doing the Father's
will as expressed by the indwelling presence, it also requires recognition
of the Father's will as pattern. We need an enlightened and unshakable
faith and pattern is the basis for that.
Pattern, like personality, is an unfathomable mystery because the Universal
Father is the source of both.
But there are some essential aspects of pattern which our book has revealed
and which we should remember:
- 1. Pattern is perfect, absolutely or relatively, depending on the level
on which it has been projected. Its gravity-debt has already been paid
- 2. Pattern does not control energy, like gravity does. In this respect
it more resembles love. Pattern is the GOODNESS of the Universal Father,
who "fills all things." Pattern should be accepted in living
faith. Pattern constitutes the validity-basis for the divine command: "Be
ye perfect as I am perfect." In final analysis the Universal Father
himself has paid the gravity-debt. More directly the Creator Sons and their
subordinates have paid the gravity-debt for us by projecting pattern. The
perfection of pattern is already here.
God's goodness is not the same as God's mercy. God is good because he
shares his perfection with us as the ever-present, perfect pattern, waiting
to be activated. He is merciful because he knows that the realization of
perfection is a process in time. Even the realization of relative perfection
as manifested in healing is, in most cases, a process. Jesus' healings
were instantaneous, because his faith was so much stronger and more enlightened
than ours. As a Creator Son he was above time, but it is not clear if,
or in how far he acted as Creator Son, when healing. Anyway, he taught
his apostles how to heal.
Our healing mostly is the result of a faith struggle between the spiritual
mind and the material mind. And this struggle can only be won through the
help of the indwelling spirit, our Father-friend within.
A Divine Counselor summarizes it as follows: "Health,
sanity, and happiness are integrations of truth, beauty and goodness as
they are blended in human experience. Such levels of efficient living come
about through the unification of energy systems, idea systems, and spirit
systems." [2:7.11] "Happiness ensues from the recognition
of truth because it can be acted out..." [2:7.6]
Spiritual healing is a privilege, not a "must." It belongs
in the category mentioned at [170:5.18].
Medical science has its place in evolution.